The American Optometric Association Paraoptometric Section will seek to ensure that the education and training for all paraoptometric/optometric staff is consistent with and reflects the growth of the paraoptometric/optometric staff profession.
Who Are Paraoptometrics?
Paraoptometrics are allied health personnel who assist optometrists in providing their highest level of vision care to patients. Front office procedures, chair-side assisting, pre-testing, contact lens instruction, frame styling and fitting, and vision therapy are just a few of the many duties paraoptometric/optometric staff perform while working directly with an optometrist.
What Is The AOA Paraoptometric Section?
The American Optometric Association Paraoptometric Section is the nation's largest organization serving the needs of optometric assistants and technicians. The purpose of the Paraoptometric Section is to offer continuing education opportunities, service recognition, professional development and promotion, and opportunities for its members to be involved with a national professional association. The Paraoptometric Section promotes a health-team concept in the delivery of optometric care and enhances the identity of both the optometrist and the paraoptometric/optometric staff.
Who Is Eligible For Membership In The AOA Paraoptometric Section?
Any ancillary, allied health personnel sponsored by an AOA member optometrist is eligible for membership in the AOA Paraoptometric Section. Members of the Paraoptometric Section are also associate members of the American Optometric Association, the national organization representing the optometric profession.
Why Become A Member of the AOA Paraoptometric Section?
There are many benefits of membership in the AOA Paraoptometric Section(PS). Section members receive:
- A certificate of membership, suitable to be framed and displayed in the office. A membership certificate will serve as a visible reminder of the professional pride and involvement. To show continued commitment to service, members receive a gold renewal seal each year that can be added to the membership certificate, keeping it current.
- Access to the Paraoptometric Skill Builder® online training program. Beginner Level 1 is free to all PS members. Now you can increase your knowledge any time, any where, from any computer!
- The Section's quarterly electronic publication, E-News, keeps members up-to-date on the many activities in the paraoptometric/optometric staff field. Each issue contains education information, section activity highlights, continuing education news, and much more.
- Section members can take advantage of reduced registration fees for the AOA Annual Congress: Optometry's Meeting®. The Paraoptometric Section offers an extensive continuing education program designed specifically for optometric assistants and technicians, opticians, ophthalmic allied health personnel, and office staff. Members also enjoy networking opportunities, with discounted registration, during Optometry's Meeting®. Optometry's Meeting® is held annually in June.
- Members have FREE access to Optometry's Career Center®, the AOA's online career-matching site, which helps them to find job opportunities in optometric practices nationwide. Members are able to post their resume for providers to view and to contact them directly, and they may also search detailed listings of available paraoptometric/optometric staff opportunities. Additionally, members can use the AOA Doctor Locator for referral needs and access to the contact information of optometrists in their area.
- Members receive significant discounts on the various education products available for purchase from the AOA Paraoptometric Section. Products include study guides for certification testing, home-study education modules, professional identity items, and much more.
- Members can access an online continuing education program, completely free available through the AOA Web site.
Associate members of the American Optometric Association receive:
- AOA News - published twice monthly, the AOA News reports on AOA activities, meetings and seminars; and recognizes people within the profession.
- AOA NewsLetter - distributed to members' active e-mail accounts, AOA NewsLetter provides up-to-the-minute develops within the AOA.
- Associate members also receive discounts on car rentals, package delivery service, and long distance telephone service. Members can also apply for a "Gold" Mastercard, through an AOA-sponsored program.
The AOA Paraoptometric Section offers recognition, education, and involvement for its members. Paraoptometrics from all areas of the field belong to the Section, giving them a diverse forum for sharing information and exchanging ideas.
Membership in the AOA Paraoptometric Section opens the door to personal growth and professional development for all paraoptometric/optometric staff. The benefits offered through membership in the Section prepare paraoptometric/optometric staff for tomorrow's career challenges.
A paraoptometric/optometric staff's occupation is more than just a job. Together with the optometrist, paraoptometric/optometric staff play a valuable role in providing quality eye care to each patient who enters the office or clinic. Paraoptometrics who make a career of their job strive to upgrade their skills and abilities in order to assist the doctor in providing the highest level of professional care possible. The AOA Paraoptometric Section helps its members achieve their goals.